Sunday, August 31, 2008

Mixers and Mountain Bikes



Things were starting to look up when I read this post on Florida's blog:
You'll get your carrot cake...
...when I get this...
A CUSTOMIZED kitchen aid nonetheless....as the standard machines are pricey I can only imagine what this would cost. Sigh. It is pretty cool looking though. Guess I will be eating Greenlife's Italian Creme Cake for awhile longer.

On a somewhat brighter note today was the race at Booker T. It was hot but turned out pretty well...I stayed upright..actually lead for awhile and ended up finishing 2ND. Out of the 5 races this year, one was DNF due to a mechanical and the other 3 involved crashes. So this was actually a new experience, having to ride hard and race the whole event. I took the lead early in the first lap and then hit a wall of juniors...sweetie, I need to get by you so ride to the right and and am going to pass on the left..ok...wham..to the left he went and we knocked tires... This went on for several minutes and Celeste was right back with me. Curses. During the second lap I heard a crash, and came around the bend and found another junior sprawled out in the trail. I stop. Are you OK? No response...Are you OK? No response...though there were moans..I finally yell, I NEED YOU TO ANSWER ME....my shoulder....ow. I tell him I have a friend right up the trail and I will get him and have him come back. Sadly, this was at the start of the gully that takes you to the jeep trail and I was forced to hike it as I was off my bike. I lost a bit of ground there but did the right thing, as he was a teen, and new to riding. Barry drove him in and he was fine. I did pass several juniors and several men who had started ahead of me, so that was nice.

Before my race Chris Brown had given me some tips..the only one I followed was to jump in the lake after the event..It felt good and cooled me down. Though temp wise it was cooler than last year, it was more humid. Most of the buds did well. Kym, Lisa and Bill won their events and Cindy finished in 3rd in our race. (Thanks to Lisa for riding with me yesterday). Steve was riding well and suffered a mechanical on lap two...Florida was still dressed as a mummy and his day didn't go as he would have like. And thanks to all who cheered me on...I always made sure I looked good on the parade lap...for the fan's you know.

Currier is in town from Portland and we will be mountain biking in the morning. I'd like to get at least two laps of Raccoon in.







1 comment:

H3 said...

Great job yesterday, Karen! So sorry we missed it.

Tell John "Hi" and you guys have fun today.
Gina